Collected from the mineral rich foothills of the famous Mont Aso Volcano in Japan. Fluval Stratum is the ideal substrate for stimulating the growth of aquatic plants in freshwater aquariums.
Plant roots easily penetrate and spread throughout the substrate, allowing plants to obtain a variety of key, readily available nutrients that will make them flourish.
The addition of FLUVAL PLANT MICRO NUTRIENTS will ensure a full complement of essential macro and micro nutrients. The substrate’s light, non-compacting, porous structure is also highly beneficial to nitrifying bacteria, which rapidly colonize the vast porous surface, providing optimal water quality for plants.
Fluval Stratum’s inherent properties will help support a neutral to slightly acidic pH, ideal for most plant species and species of tropical fish or shrimp normally kept in planted aquariums. Fluval Stratum also provides new born shrimp with the ideal refuge, allowing them to escape predation until they are large enough to emerge.
This highly attractive substrate will not discolor water and helps control organic discoloration usually present when natural driftwood is used.
- For use in freshwater aquariums
- Diameter of soil granules : 3mm – 5 mm
- Encourages strong plant growth – roots easily penetrate and spread throughout substrate to obtain key nutrients
- Porous structure allows for rapid colonization of beneficial nitrifying bacteria
- Helps support neutral to slightly acidic pH – ideal for most plants, tropical fish and shrimp normally kept in planted aquariums
- Provides newborn shrimp with a refuge from predators until they are large enough to emerge
- Will not discolor water and helps control organic discoloration when natural driftwood is present
How to Use It
When using Fluval Stratum for the first time, put it in a large colander to remove any fine dust. Do not shake or agitate the stratum. Pour Fluval Stratum into an empty fish tank and do not mix it with gravel. When you fill the tank, try putting a platter or something else on top of the substrate so that it won’t shift or stir.
After adding water, you’ll find that it may take a few hours for the water to become clear again. During this time, please SWITCH OFF the filter and let the particles sediment to the bottom.
It is intended for freshwater aquariums only, so avoid using it in saltwater or brackish aquariums.
How much should I use?
Recommended depth : 3-4 CM (1.18 – 1.57 IN)
< 45 cm (17.72 in) = 1 x 2 kg Fluval Stratum bag
45 cm (17.72 in) = 1 x 4 kg Fluval Stratum bag
60 cm (23.62 in) = 1 x 8 kg Fluval Stratum bag
90 cm (35.43 in) = 1 x 8+4 kg Fluval Stratum bag